Get the right credentials to reach your goals and advance your career through Shawnee State University’s online campus. In 2021, we’ve been recognized as a Military Friendly® School with silver-level distinction and Best for Vets school by Military Times. We’ve made it our mission to assist U.S. military veterans, service members, and their families in obtaining all the educational benefits they’ve earned through service. We’ll provide you and your family the guidance and support you need to transition to academic and civilian life.
Use Your Benefits
Our military support teams can help you determine eligibility for a variety of programs available to lower your out-of-pocket costs.
There are several GI Bill programs for U.S. military veterans, active-duty service members, spouses and dependents. This includes the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Forever GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) and more.
Active military students may be eligible to utilize the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program, which covers tuition expenses up to $250 per credit hour.
For information regarding GI Bill or Tuition Assistance benefits, contact SSU Veterans Coordinator:
Tuition assistance is provided for survivors and dependents of veterans through the Chapter 35 program. Full tuition is also provided to dependents through the Ohio War Orphan & Severely Disabled Veterans’ Children Scholarship.
Transfer Your Credits
You can save time and money earning your degree by receiving credit for U.S. military training.
The American Council on Education (ACE) provides SSU with the suggested credit hours and course evaluations for various military training based on a service member’s Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript. In addition, ACE provides U.S. Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard quality assurance and JST policy guidance. If you are eligible to receive college credit for military coursework/experiences, submit your transcript to ACE.
- Bachelor’s Programs — Earn and apply up to 90 transfer credits.
- Master’s Programs — Apply up to 9 graduate-level transfer credits.
- Medical Education and Training Campus (METC) — METC graduates can apply 13 to 35 transfer credits to the Associate of Arts in General Studies, Bachelor of Science in Health Science, or Bachelor of Individualized Studies program.
- Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) General Education Mobile (GEM) — designed to help U.S. Air Force and U.S. Space Force members fulfill their general education requirements for the Associate of Applied Science degree at the CCAF. Military personnel and veterans receive a $250 tuition reduction per credit hour.
Get Dedicated Military Support
Shawnee State faculty complete Green Zone Training to understand our military-affiliated students’ backgrounds and mindsets. We’re honored to help you transition to college life and offer the support you need to succeed in earning your degree and launching your chosen career.
This office will be your constant connection to assistance and support. They’re here to help you apply for and receive educational benefits, support you as you transition to academia and connect you to support resources such as:
- Financial aid
- Campus resources you can connect with online
- A dedicated admissions associate
- One-on-one advising
- Student Activities – Take advantage of opportunities for involvement, leadership, and empowerment through a wide variety of organizations and programs.
- Student Career Services – Become well-informed and be prepared to make good career choices. As graduation approaches, the office offers job search workshops and assists students and alumni in their job search strategies while helping them with resume writing, cover letter composition and interview skills.
- Accessibility Services – Access the services you need if you have a learning disability, traumatic brain injury (TBI) or other disability. This office is prepared to coordinate technical assistance to improve learning.
- Counseling Services – Get confidential support to improve your mental health, cope with stress and adjust to civilian and academic life.
Which Degree is Right for You?
Small class sizes allow experienced faculty to focus on their military students. You’ll be guided by experts in the industry throughout your program and can count on the individualized attention you need. Review the programs below and reach out for more information on the ones that interest you the most.
- Criminal Justice
- Mathematical Science
- AA in General Studies
- BA Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Individualized Studies
- BS Business Administration: Accounting
- BS Business Administration: Management
- BS Business Administration: Marketing
- BS Health Science
- RN to BSN
- MA in Composition and Rhetoric
- MEd Curriculum and Instruction
- MEd Intervention Specialist
- MS Mathematics
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy (Post-Professional)
Why Shawnee State University?
We are committed to helping each of our students meet their educational and professional goals.
Our quality academic programs are offered to students of all cultural, financial and religious backgrounds.
Our faculty members provide personalized guidance to students to help them succeed.