Next Start Date August 24
Est.Program Length 7 semesters
Course Length 7 weeks
Credit Hours 34-38
Cost Per Credit $452*
Transfer Credits Accepted 9
* In-state tuition
M.Ed. Intervention Specialist Overview
Improve your teaching skills and discover what it takes to become an effective intervention specialist with the online intervention specialist degree program from Shawnee State University Online Campus. As a busy teacher, you’ll benefit from flexible course options and interactive lessons as you explore an accelerated curriculum in our online classroom. Our faculty of experienced educators have terminal degrees in their fields and provide personalized attention to ensure you complete the requirements for licensure and gain the intervention specialist skills needed to advance your education career.
Whether you’re interested in a leadership position in special education or are striving for the academic credentials required for a doctoral degree, the online intervention specialist degree program will elevate your potential and prepare you for the next step in your career. Through a selection of small courses, the intervention specialist degree delivers proficiency in essential education and psychology topics, so you can graduate ready for unlimited professional opportunities.
Our online intervention specialist degree program will teach you:
- Strategies for working with children with special needs in general education and special education classrooms
- Instructional and behavioral management strategies
- Instruction in tests and measures pertinent to special education and in understanding assessment data and relaying it to parents and colleagues
- Culturally and linguistically relevant instructional strategies
The intervention specialist degree also offers hands-on experience through practicum opportunities. Choose 2-6 semester hours for a capstone experience with a seminar, project, or research.
The M.Ed. Intervention Specialist is Designed for:
- Educators interested in expanding their knowledge
- Educators who are required to earn a master’s degree for their institution
- Educators seeking the credential to specialize in a specific area of education
Designed to fit the schedule of working teachers.
Learn from Expert Educators
Professors provide one-on-one attention to each teacher pursuing an online master’s degree.
Gain the Skills for Career Advancement
The M.Ed. Intervention Specialist program offers the credential you need to advance into a leadership position in education.
Courses and Requirements
12-14 Total Courses In This Program
Requiring the completion of 34–38 credit hours, the intervention specialist degree will prepare you for the next step in your career through courses covering advanced topics in special education.
Provides an overview of childhood, adolescent and young adult cognitive development and motivation theory in the context of current research. Prepares teachers to understand the relationship between human brain function and all aspects of human behavior and development and to create developmentally appropriate teaching practices that support the learning of each individual, typical and atypical.
Technology Integration Learning
This course examines antecedents, foundations, issues, trends and practices associated with the theory and practice of computer-based instructional technologies; project-based approach.
Philosophy of Education Prof. Ethics
This course examines classic ethical approaches to problem-solving in conjunction with the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to make professional decisions in the modern educational environment. Includes analysis and discussion of ethical case studies related to education.
Educational Data Analysis
Examines measurement techniques, quantitative and qualitative data collection methods, and statistical and qualitative data analysis techniques. Emphasis is on the understanding and application of descriptive and inferential statistics in educational research and K-12 classrooms.
Introduces research terminology, methods, purposes, and procedures, along with critical evaluation of research. Formal methods for writing research reports in APA style are introduced. Development of a proposal for the capstone course begins in this class.
EDIS 6250 – Nature & Needs of Students with Mild/Moderate Disabilities (with field experience)
EDIS 6252 – Accommodations & Technologies for Students with Mild/Moderate Disabilities (with field)
EDIS 6283 – Collaboration & Transition Models-Diverse Families, Schools & Community (with field)
EDIS 6311 – Assessment & Instructional Planning for Individuals with Mild/Moderate Disabilities
EDIS 6314 – Classroom Management & Behavioral Interventions
EDIS 6425 – Curriculum & Instruction for K–12 Children with Exceptional Needs
EDIS 6585 – Instructional Strategies Internship (with field)
EDUC 5506 – Capstone Seminar
EDUC 5507 – National Board Certification Seminar (Optional course for teachers wishing to pursue certification)
EDUC 5508 – Capstone Project
EDUC 5509 – Research and Practice (1–3 hours optional for continuation of Capstone Project)
Before applying for the intervention specialist degree program, you must have:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a minimum 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Experience as a practitioner in the education field
How to Apply
In order to apply for Shawnee State’s online intervention specialist degree, please contact an enrollment counselor and submit the following:
- Completed application
- Transcripts from a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, showing an overall 2.75 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale
- A reflective personal essay
- Two letters of recommendation from educational or professional sources plus disposition forms
Costs & Financial Aid
Tuition for the online intervention specialist degree program is $452 per credit hour for Ohio residents and $462 per credit hour for out-of-state students. The M.Ed. program accepts 9 transfer credits.
Component Cost Total* Full Program Tuition $452 per credit hour $15,368 Total $15,368 Tuition with Maximum Transfer Credits (Up to 9) $452 per credit hour $11,300 Total with Transfer Credits $11,300 Component Cost Total* Full Program Tuition $462 per credit hour $15,708 Total $15,708 Tuition with Maximum Transfer Credits (Up to 9) $462 per credit hour $11,550 Total $11,550
Time to completion varies by student, depending on individual progress and credits transferred, if applicable. Fees are charged per semester unless otherwise noted. This program takes three semesters to complete, depending on transfer credits. For a personalized estimate of time to completion, call an enrollment advisor at 855-815-0323 or request more information.
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.
To help make your online education more affordable, Shawnee State offers financial aid in the form of loans, scholarships, and grants. If you have questions, our experienced enrollment counselors and tuition planners will assist you through the process.
At Shawnee State, we want those who have served our country to get the education they deserve. As a veteran or current member of the U.S. military, you can receive federal and state educational benefits through the VA, and we will provide you with guidance and support throughout your online education.
The online intervention specialist degree program provides education professionals the credential necessary to advance their careers and pursue a doctoral degree. Many graduates of this program succeed in the following positions:
Salary information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Special education teachers provide instruction and personalized attention to students with cognitive and physical disabilities. The median annual salary for special education teachers is $59,780.
- Elementary, middle, and high school principals manage their institution’s staff and coordinate safety procedures while ensuring students have the resources they need to succeed. The median annual salary for school principals is $95,310.
- School counselors help elementary, middle, and high school students succeed in their education by providing counseling services to those struggling personally and academically. The median annual salary for school counselors is $56,310.